Velvety soft cake and gluten free seem pretty contradictory… good thing we’ve cracked the code to the BEST gluten free and vegan red velvet cake. Layers upon layers of deep red chocolate, vanilla, espresso and dairy free buttermilk flavoured cake, dark chocolate ganache, macadamia nuts and our classic cream cheese frosting. Dressed up with white chocolate painted gold and some gold pearls. How fancy!!!
Although this cake may appear challenging, and it does require time and patience, Dolled Up Desserts Cloud Nine Vanilla cake mixes make it much easier to focus on getting the cake “just right”. The rich taste is totally worth the extra work- trust us!
The recipe in the video is for a 5-6 layer 6″ cake. The ingredients listed here are to make a 3-4 layer 6″ cake (or 12 cupcakes, a 2 layer 8″ cake).
– 1 Dolled Up Desserts Cloud Nine Vanilla Cake Premium Baking Mix (buy yours with shipping across North America: );
– 3/4 cup sunflower/canola oil;
– 1 cup non-dairy milk (preferably soy or hemp);
– 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar;
– 1 tbsp red gel food colouring (Use Wilton, its vegan! And this may seem like a lot but if you want red cake, this is what you have to do);
– 2 tbsp natural red cocoa powder (Hershey’s cocoa powder; try to avoid using a dutch process cocoa, as it will make the cake much darker);
– 2 tbsp espresso or hot coffee (this is a must for flavour);
– 1 tbsp Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract;
– 1/4 cup non-dairy milk;
– 3/4 cup non-dairy chocolate or chocolate chips
– 1/4 cup non dairy butter
– 1- 1/14 cups icing sugar
1) Melt chocolate, butter and milk in microwave or over stovetop on low heat. If using microwave, melt for 30 second intervals, stir, and if chocolate chips still remain, microwave again.
2) Stir until all ingredients are combined and then sift in icing sugar. Stir until to the level of thickness desired. Add more icing sugar if it is not the right thickness- it should be like a wet batter, thick but still flowing.
3) Spoon 3 tbsp in between red velvet cake layers, or store in the fridge for a week. Can be reheated in the microwave or stove top, again low heat or 30 second intervals.
VEGAN WHITE CHOCOLATE
– 60g edible cacao butter, chopped;
– 2 tbsp shortening (you can use non dairy butter, but shortening is better for hardening);
– 3/4 cup icing sugar;
– 1/4 tsp salt;
– 1 tsp vanilla extract;
1) In the microwave, melt cocoa butter and shortening completely. Melt in 30 second intervals and stir in between intervals.
2) Add in salt and vanilla extract and stir until combined;.
3) Sift in icing sugar and stir until combined.
4) Immediately drizzle over sides of cake, or place into a parchment lined pan and let set at room temperature.
Get the tools to make your cake beautiful on our site: